Baylor > ECS > Student Services > ECS Academic Advising > Frequently Asked Questions for Incoming Students
Frequently Asked Questions for Incoming Students


I'm interested in engineering, but I don't know what to major in...

All incoming freshmen must major in Pre-Engineering for their first year at Baylor. After earning a B or better in EGR 1301 and EGR 1302, as well as a C or better in your freshmen math courses, you may declare one of our three engineering majors, which are described in greater detail below. EGR 1301 and EGR 1302 are the two freshmen introductory courses designed to help you discover which area of engineering fits you best. You can also consult with your academic advisor as you decide on a major at the end of your freshman year.

Mechanical Engineering is for those who love to design, build, and maintain machines of all types and sizes, from jets to mini-monitors. You'll learn about heat transfer, energy conversion, robotics, fluid mechanics, materials science, and many more related topics. Our M.E. alumni enter the workforce with a versatile degree and have been hired as petroleum, civil, industrial, and aeronautical engineers.

Electrical and Computer Engineering will train you in the practical application of the theory of electricity. You'll study topics like circuits, computer systems design, power systems, electromagnetics, etc. Electrical and computer engineers can take energy from turbines, hydroelectric plants, or solar panels and efficiently channel it to homes, factories, and businesses. You could also design the components that move digital information and deal with aspects of computing systems.

General Engineering involves two tracks. The first - Biomedical Engineering - adds courses in biomedical science to a strong engineering foundation that will prepare students for a graduate program in Biomedical Engineering. Research possibilities include developing artificial organs, prosthetics, therapies, and diagnostic tools. The second track - our Flexible Option - will allow you to work with a faculty member to develop a Statement of Purpose that defines your career goals. You'll integrate classes from your desired specialization (ex. Pre-law, Business, Science, etc.) with a strong core of engineering courses.


I'm interested in computer science, but I don't know what to major in...

Baylor offers a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science (BSCS) with the following concentrations:

Computer Science concentration This concentration offers depth in upper-level computer science topics and a solid foundation in mathematics and the sciences. Graduates are prepared to pursue careers in research, development, and other computing-related fields.

Game Development concentration The gaming specialization is designed to provide an understanding of the development and application of interactive digital media technologies. Simulated environments occur in fields other than the video game industry; they are becoming increasingly prevalent in military training and the medical field as well, offering students a variety of career options after graduation.

Software Engineering concentration This track emphasizes the methods used to produce and maintain high-quality software in a systematic, controlled, and efficient manner. Students will take courses in software quality assurance, software project management, and engineering economics.

If you are interested in merging computer science with the life sciences, Baylor offers a Bachelor of Science in Informatics with a major in Bioinformatics. Bioinformatics is the application of information technology and computer science to the field of molecular biology. This field gained momentum in the late 80s as a result of the Human Genome Project. Our graduates go on to study genes, design and discover drugs, study DNA sequencing, enroll in medical school, and much more!


Do I need to be accepted to the School of Engineering & Computer Science after I am accepted to Baylor?

Beginning Fall 2015, students must have a minimum test score of 1220 SAT (combined math and verbal) or 27 ACT (superscore) in order to declare Pre-Engineering and begin taking engineering classes. Students taking the new SAT (beginning March 2016) must have a score of 1290 (combined math and verbal).



Should I take summer school before my freshman year?

Summer school is a great option for students who want to get a head start on their ECS degree before entering Baylor. For information on which courses would be beneficial to your degree, CLICK HERE . You can also contact an academic advisor at ECS_Advising for more information.



Do I need to take a test to be placed into a math course?

Most likely, yes. The Mathematics Department requires all students to complete the ALEKS Placement Exam if they want to start in Calculus 1. Additional time may need to be spent completing an online tutorial after the initial assessment in order to prepare for Calculus I. More information can be found on the Math Department's website.

The School of Engineering & Computer Science encourages all of our majors to begin their math sequence with Calculus 1. Pre-Calculus does not apply toward any ECS degrees.


Will I get credit for the AP Exams I took?

Visit the website of the Office of Institutional Research and Testing for more information on AP Exam scores required for credit. Many students do well enough on the Calculus AB or Calculus BC exams to get credit for Calculus 1 and Calculus 2. However, our general recommendation is that students consider beginning their math sequence at Calculus 1 to get a solid foundation in math, since it is the backbone of engineering and computer science.



Will I get credit for the college courses I took while in high school?

Check out Baylor's Transfer Credit website to learn more about our policies for transferring in courses. Our Equivalent Course Tool (ECT) is helpful for seeing which courses at outside institutions are pre-approved for transfer. If the course you want to take cannot be found through the ECT, you can fill out the online Equivalent Course Request through the Transfer Credit website to have the course evaluated.



How many foreign language courses do I need to complete for a degree in ECS?

ECS students need second-level proficiency in a foreign language for all of our degree programs. There are several different ways this requirement can be fulfilled:
  1. If you are already proficient in a foreign language, you can take a CLEP test to gain credit for language courses at Baylor. CLEP exams can be taken at any CLEP testing center . Prior to taking courses at Baylor, permission slips are not required to take CLEP exams. For more information on CLEP scores required to receive credit for Baylor courses, click HERE
  2. You can take the Foreign Language Placement Exam during Orientation. If you place into the second level, you only need one course to complete the requirement instead of two courses. The Placement Exam does not give you credit; it only allows you to advance in your language sequence. You will still need to take a language course to earn second-level proficiency.
  3. You can also transfer in courses from a community college to fulfill the degree requirement. We highly recommend this option! Check Baylor's Equivalent Course Tool and talk to your academic advisor to make sure your course will transfer before you register.



When do I get advised, and how do I schedule an appointment?

Incoming freshmen will be advised in a group format on Day 2 of Orientation. Students attending Orientation will automatically be assigned a time for group advising and notified on Day 1 of their advising time and location. If you cannot attend Orientation, be sure to register for Alternate Registration with New Student Programs, and an advisor will contact you directly.