Dr. Erich Baker
Chair, Department of Computer Science; Professor, Bioinformatics
Chair, Department of Computer Science
Academic Specialization: Bioinformatics
- PhD, University of Tennessee (2000)
- MS, Barry University (1996)
- BA, University of Notre Dame (1994)
Dr. Baker continues to drive the direction of research in bioinformatics. He has received many grants, including one that is in conjunction with the Bioinformatics Core of the Tennessee Mouse Genome Consortium. The grant is to be spread out over several years for a total of $1.5 million.
Publications and Conference Presentations
- Baker, E. and Snoddy, J. Bioinformatics, and systems biology: not just about the data and the technology. CBE, Submitted for Publication.
- Baker, L.E., Baker, E.J. and Adams, R.P. Simple procedure for the co-extraction of human and plant DNA from quid samples. Phytologia. Accepted.
- Elissa J. Chesler and Erich J. Baker. The importance of open source integrative genomics to drug discovery. Current Opinions in Drug Discovery, 2010 13(3):310-316.
- Erich J. Baker, Zuopan Li, Jeremy Jay, Vivek Philip, Yun Zhang, Michael A. Langston, Elissa J. Chesler. Ontological discovery environment: A system for integrating gene-phenotype associations. Genomics, 2009. 94:377-387.
- Baker, L.E. and Baker, E.J. Reuniting Families: using phenotypic and genotypic forensic evidence to identify unknown immigrant remains. Journal of Forensic Science, 2008 53(1).
- Baker, E.J., Lin, Guan, Liu, Huadong, and Kosuri, R. NFU-enabled FASTA: Distributing bioinformatics applications over wide-area networks. Source Code for Biology and Medicine, 2007 Nov 26;2:8.
- Chesler, EJ, Hulvey, JP, Kirova, R, Jay, J, Li, Z, Philip, V, Zhang, Y, Glenn, HR, Swanson, DJ, Langston, MA, Goldowitz, DA, Baker, EJ. The Ontological Discovery Environment: an internet resource for integration of phenomic information through gene-centric analysis. Proceedings from the Society of Neuroscience, San Diego, CA, 2007. 100.3(23)
- Kirov SA, Peng X, Erich Baker, Schmoyer D, Zhang B and Snoddy J. GeneKeyDB: A lightweight, gene-centric, relational database to support data mining environments for sets of genes and gene products. BMC Bioinformatics. 2005 Mar 24;6(1):72.
- Baker, E.J. and Baker, L.E. The creation of an anthropometric and DNA database to aid in the identification of illegal immigrant remains. American Journal of Physical Anthropology. Supplement 36:58, 2004.
- Erich Baker, B. Jackson, L. Galloway, et. al. MuTrack: an on-line distributed database for phenotypic discovery in mutagenized mice. BMC Bioinformatics. 2004 5:11.
- Baker, E.J., Ichiki, A.T., Gerrard, D., Bamberger, E.G., and Lozzio, C.B.HL-60-conditioned media induces myeloperoxidase in K-562 leukemia cells. Leukemia Research, 26:1017-1025, 2002.
- Baker, E.J., Ichiki, A.T., Day, N.E., Andrews, R.B., Bamberger, E.G., and Lozzio, C.B. Simultaneous flow cytometric measurement of K-562 megakaryocytic differentiation and CD56+ large granular lymphocyte cytotoxicity. Journal of Immunological Methods. 253(1-2):37-44, 2001.
- Baker, E.J., Ichiki, A.T., Hodge J.W., Sugantharaj, D., Bamberger, E.G., and Lozzio, C.B. PMA-treated K-562 leukemia cells mediate a TH2-specific expansion of CD4+ T cells in vitro. Leukemia Research 24:1049-1057, 2000.
- Baker, E.J., Day, N.E., and Ichiki A.T. Type 2 immune response mediated by PHA-treated K-562 leukemia cells. Cancer Research Supplement, v. 11, 2000, 3951.
- Day, N.E., Gerard, D.A., Baker, E.J., and Ichiki, A.T. Mononuclear cell-derived factors induce homotypic aggregation of K-562 cells. FASEB Journal. 2000
- Baker, E.J., Day, N.E., and Ichiki, A.T. Simultaneous flow cytometric measurement of K-562 megakaryocytic differentiation and CD56+ large granular lymphocyte cytotoxicity. FASEB Journal 13:A964, 1999.
- Day, N., Baker, E.J., and Ichiki, A.T. Caspase-3-mediated apoptosis in K-562 cells is induced by phorbol 12-myristate 13-acetate. FASEB Journal (addendum): LB364, 1999.
- Ichiki, A.T., Langenberg, M., Baker, E.J., Hodge, J.W., Bamberger, E.G., Gerard, D.A., and Lozzio, C.B. Differential regulation of IL-1a and IL-1b in K-562 cells. Journal of Interferon and Cytokine Research 18:1045-1050, 1998.
- Baker, E. J. and Ichiki, A. T. K-562 cells require treatment with phorbol 12-myristate 13-acetate to function as antigen presenting cells. FASEB Journal 12:A624, 1998.