Dr. Carolyn Skurla
- PhD, Mechanical Engineering, Colorado State University
- BS, Biomedical Science, Texas A&M University (1980)
- EGR 1301 - Intro to Engineering
- EGR 1302 - Introduction to Engineering Analysis
- ME 3320 - Strength of Materials
- ME 3322 - Engineering Materials and Manufacturing Processes Lecture and Lab
- ME 3323 - Machine Design
- ME 3420 - Instrumentation and Measurements Lab
- ME 4382 - Selection of Materials and Manufacturing Processes in Design
- ME 4344 - Composite Materials
- BME 4370 - Biomaterials: Form and Function
- BME 5360 - Intro to Biomedical Engineering
- NE 4396 - Radiation, Dosimetry, and Health Physics
Graduate Research Opportunities
- Biomaterials and Biomechanics
- Mechanical Testing of Engineering and Biological Materials
- Total Joint Replacement
- Animal Models
- Engineering education research performed in topical areas of freshmen admission requirements to improve retention, programs to ensure student success and retention to graduation. Biomedical research performed in topical area of biomechanics and biomaterials related to bone, cartilage, total joint replacement, motion capture & biomechanics.
- O'Neal D, Skurla C. Developing an enrollment model for evaluating alternative standards for admission into engineering. Proceedings of the 2014 First Year Engineering Experience Conference. Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, Aug 7-8, 2014.
- Skurla C, Jamshidi I. Transition to a new freshman engineering policy. Proceedings of the 2013 First Year Engineering Experience Conference. University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA. Aug 8-9, 2013.
- Skurla C, Eisenbarth S. Scholarships for Academic Success program: a final report. Proceeding of the 2013 American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference and Exposition. Atlanta, GA. June 23-26, 2013.
- Skurla C. Development of a new freshman engineering policy. Proceedings of the 2012 First Year Engineering Experience Conference. University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA. Aug 9-10, 2012.
- Van Treuren KW, Skurla C. Inspiring the next generation engineer through a high school summer science research program. Proceedings of the 2012 ASEE Gulf Southwest Annual Conference. University of Texas at El Paso, April 4-7, 2012.
- Rigby B, Garner BA, Skurla CP. Comparing the pelvis kinematics of able-bodied children during normal gait and when riding a therapeutic horse. Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology; 2011; 33 Supplement S: S104-S105.
- Kelley JD, Benoit HD, White JD, Abbott-Kirk J, Garner BA, Skurla CP. Comparison of two piano playing methods using motion capture. Proceedings of the ASME Summer Bioengineering Conference. Naples, Fl. Jun 16-19, 2010.
- Rigby R, Skurla CP, Garner BA. Comparing the pelvis kinematics of able-bodied children during normal gait and when riding a therapeutic horse. Proceedings of the ASME Summer Bioengineering Conference. Naples, Fl. Jun 16-19, 2010.
- Skurla CP, Morgan DS, Towe CT. The effects of freezing on the circumferential tensile properties of meniscus. Proceedings of the 34th Annual Meeting of the Society for Biomaterials. San Antonio, TX. Apr 22-25, 2009: 261.
- Skurla C., Eisenbarth S. Scholarships for Academic Success program: a preliminary report. Proceedings of the 2009 American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference and Exposition. Austin, TX. June 14-17, 2009: AC 2009-1659.
- Zerwekh JE, Geng W, Skurla CT, Odvina CV. Development of an animal model of bisphosphonate-induced severe suppression of bone turnover. Proceedings of the 2008 American Society for Bone and Mineral Research.Montreal, Quebec, Canada. September 12-16, 2008. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research 2008; 23S1: p Sa511.
- Skurla CP, Perera AB, Towe CT , Robertson PR, Healy JL, Kane RR. Development of Photochemical Method for Meniscal Repair: A Preliminary Study. Journal of Biomechanics. 2007; 40: 220-224.
- Campbell R, Eisenbarth S, Skurla C. Electronic Content Development for Engineering Distance Learning. Proceedings of the 2007 Frontiers in Education Conference. Session F2D: Distance Learning Delivery Models. Milwaukee, WI. Oct 10-13, 2007.
- Skurla C. Self-paced laboratory modules for engineering materials and manufacturing processes laboratory course. Proceedings of the 2007 American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference and Exposition.Session 2464: Introductory Materials Science for the 21st Century. Honolulu, HI. June 24-27, 2007; AC2007-1800.
- Skurla C, Eisenbarth S, Campbell R. Development and beta-testing of a distance-learning freshman engineering course series. Proceedings of the 2007 American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference and Exposition. Session 2170: Learning Needs and Educational Success. Honolulu, HI. June 24-27, 2007; AC2007-851.
- Skurla CP, James SP. Postmortem retrieved canine THR: femoral and acetabular component interaction. Proceedings of the 41st Annual Rocky Mountain Bioengineering Symposium in Biomedical Sciences Instrumentation, 2004; 40: 255-260.
- Skurla CP, James SP. Assessing the Dog as a Model for Human Total Hip Replacement: Analysis of 38 Postmortem Retrieved Canine Cemented Acetabular Components. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part B: Applied Biomaterials, 2005; 73-B: 260-270.
- Skurla CP, Pluhar GE, Frankel DJ, Egger EL, James SP. Assessing the Dog as a Model for Human Total Hip Replacement: Analysis of 38 Postmortem Retrieved Canine Cemented Femoral Components. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (Br), 2005; 87-B: 120-127.
- Frankel DJ, Pluhar GE, Skurla CP, James SP, Egger EL. Radiographic Evaluation of Mechanically Tested Cemented Total Hip Arthroplasty Femoral Components Retrieved Postmortem. Veterinary and Comparative Orthopaedics and Traumatology, 2004; 17: 216-224.
- Skurla C, Thomas B, Bradley WL. Teaching freshman engineering using design projects and laboratory exercises to increase retention. Proceedings of the 2004 American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference and Exposition, Session 1793: Emerging Trends in Engineering Education. Salt Lake City, UT. June 20-23, 2004; 1567.