Dr. Kenneth Van Treuren
Associate Dean of Research & Faculty Development Professor
- PhD, Engineering Science, University of Oxford (1994)
- MS, Aeronautical Engineering, Princeton University (1978)
- BS, Aeronautical Engineering, United States Air Force Academy (1977)
- ME 3321 - Fluid Mechanics
- ME 4345 - Heat Transfer
- ME 4346 - Introduction to Aeronautics
- ME 4347 - Analysis and Design of Propulsion Systems
- Fluid Mechanics
- Gas Turbine Heat Transfer
- Propulsion Systems
- Wind Turbines
- AFRL Summer Faculty Fellowship Program, USAF Academy, Colorado Springs, CO, Summers of 2013, 2017, 2015
- Distinguished Visiting Professor, United States Air Force Academy, 2012-2013
- Associate Professor, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, CO, 1994-1998, 1986-1990
Undergraduate/Graduate Research Opportunities
- Analysis, design, and testing of small wind turbines for the urban environment to include performance and aeroacoustics
- Low pressure turbine flow separation using a cascade wind tunnel
- Low pressure turbine heat transfer using a suction surface and a cascade wind tunnel
- Analysis, design, and testing of UAS propellers to include performance and aeroacoustics
- HVAC heat exchangers
- Impingement heat transfer in gas turbines
- Validation and testing of alternative fuels using an engine dynamometer
- Hays, A. W., and Van Treuren, K. W., 2017, “A Study of Power Production and Noise Generation of a Small Wind Turbine for an Urban Environment,” GT 2017-64385, Proceedings of the ASME Turbo Expo 2017: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition, Charlotte, NC, June 26-30, 2017.
- Van Treuren, K. W., and Hays, A. W., 2017, “Understanding, Designing, and Initial Testing of Small-Scale Horizontal Axis Wind Turbines for the Urban Environment,” Proceedings of the 1st Global Power and Propulsion Forum, Jan 16-18, 2017.
- Van Treuren, K. W., and Hays, A. W., 2016, “A Study of Noise Generation on the E387, S823, NACA 0012, and NACA 4412 Airfoils for Use on Small-Scale Wind Turbines,” 2nd International Conference on Next Generation Wind Energy, Lund, Sweden, August 24-26, 2016.
- Van Treuren, K. W., 2016, “Current Status and Future Challenges for Small Horizontal Axis Wind Turbines,” GT2016-57701, ASME IGTI Turbo Expo 2016, Seoul, Korea, June 13-17, 2016.
- Van Treuren, K. W., 2015, “Small-Scale Wind Turbine Testing in Wind Tunnels Under Low Reynolds Number Conditions,” ASME Journal of Energy Resources Technology, 137(5), (11 pages).
School of Engineering
& Computer Science
One Bear Place #97356
Waco, TX 76798-7356